Keep Your Pet Happy & Healthy with Wellness Exams
There are a variety of services that fit under the pet wellness care umbrella; in fact, much of the general care your pet will receive during their lifetime constitutes wellness care.
We can also perform many of our wellness services in the comfort of home. Our house call services can accommodate those who are unable to travel to our animal hospital.
At our animal hospital in Clifton Park, our Wellness Exams include:
- A comprehensive physical exam
- Discussion about your pet’s nutrition/diet recommendations
- Parasite testing (blood and fecal)
- Urine testing (if needed)
- Parasite treatments and preventatives
- Monitoring weight gain/loss in comparison with previous visit
- Spaying and neutering can also count as a wellness service, since they prevent certain diseases and infections from developing, thus helping pets live longer
Parasites are more than pests; they can spread disease or cause allergic reactions in pets. Common parasitic conditions include:
- Heartworm disease – heartworms are transmitted by infected mosquitoes, and travel through the bloodstream to your pet’s heart. They can greatly weaken the heart and even shorten the life of your pet if not treated quickly.
- Lyme disease – transmitted by ticks
- Flea allergy dermatitis – caused by flea bites
Hookworms, roundworms, and tapeworms can also wreak havoc on your pet’s internal systems. A fecal test can indicate whether your pet has any of these parasites. We carry a number of high-quality parasite preventatives here at our hospital, and will be happy to recommend the best ones for your pet to keep them parasite- and disease-free.
Lab Work & Diagnostics
Wellness care relies heavily on our in-house lab and diagnostic equipment. We use our in-house lab for age-appropriate testing including for the following:
- CBC – Complete Blood Count
- T4 (thyroid)
- Phenobarbital levels
- Heartworm testing
- Tick testing
- Feline leukemia
- Feline AIDS
We can obtain test results in 10-15 minutes when needed so we can completely assess your pet’s health, diagnose any existing conditions, and work up a treatment plan right away.
Our veterinarians and staff are also highly trained to perform imaging procedures including ultrasound and digital X-rays, as well as electrocardiograms and blood pressure measurements.